The first step to making these tasty creations, is to bake the cookie crust. You may opt for a traditional sugar cookie recipe or use this one. I recommend trying this recipe. It tastes more like a shortbread and is super delicious! This recipe will make 36 mini pizzas.
You will need:
- 4 cups flour
- 2/3 cup white sugar
- 2 cups real butter, softened
- Preheat your oven to 350°.
- Combine your flour, sugar and butter. Blend on low to medium speed with your mixer until a soft dough forms.
- Form dough into 36 balls.
- With a little bit of flour on the counter, form each ball into a round, flat shape. Each cookie should have a diameter of about 2 1/2 to 3 inches.
- Place the formed cookies on a metal pan.
- Bake for 12 minutes. I like to bake one pan at a time.
- Cool completely on a wire rack.
Once your cookies have cooled, it's time to make them look beautiful!
To make your frosting you need:
- 1 8oz. tub of light whipped topping, thawed.
- 1 8oz. package of cream cheese, softened
Mix the cream cheese first with your mixer until it is smooth. Then add in the whipped topping and mix until a smooth frosting forms. Now, it's time to frost your cookies! Kids love to help with this. You should have plenty of frosting to give each cookie a generous amount.
Finally top your cookies with fruit of your choice. For these lovely 4th of July creations, I used about 1 1/2 lbs. of medium sized strawberries and about 11 oz. of blueberries.
For each cookie, I removed the top and quartered one strawberry and accented with five blueberries. Storing all of the cookies until I was ready to serve them was a challenge. I ended up using my stackable wire cooling racks in the fridge to keep my creations from smooshing each other. The result? A beautiful and tasty treat everyone loved. Yum!!!